Location: Highlands Nature House at Mary Lake Nature Sanctuary
Duration: 2 days
Group size: 20 participants max
Start dates: 2018-11-10
Our workshops help outdoor enthusiasts build a solid foundation for safe wilderness travel. Trip Planning and Wilderness Navigation 1 focuses on the basic skills and tools required to plan successful trips and navigate in the backcountry.
Who is this workshop for?
Instructional programs are just as important to us as guided trips. These events give locals a chance to access the same professional guiding services without the added expenses of long-distance travel or multi-day time commitments. We have a lot of fun at our workshops. Our programs are best suited for:
- First-time hikers and backpackers with a desire to learn foundational skills; OR
- Novice hikers and backpackers who have experimented on their own but desire a solid foundation of knowledge to build on; OR
- Intermediate hikers and backpackers who wish to advance their knowledge and skills; OR
- Advanced hikers and backpackers who want to refresh and learn new skills.
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, professional instruction, and a learning-intensive weekend are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our participants to take charge of their own adventures. You will learn to prepare for the wilderness the way an outdoor professional does. Our programs feature:
- Science and research. We are avid researchers who love to learn and share the latest technical information. We offer patient and courteous instruction based on decades of professional and recreational experiences in the outdoors.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personal coaching to all his guests and participants.
- Experiential learning. All of our workshops are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues up until the end of the workshop.
I want to thank you again for the great workshop! So well organized, information was presented in a way that even a map-novice like myself could understand and apply the knowledge. I went home and took another look at a map I’d bought in Death Valley NP and now see it through different eyes! Wow, so helpful. I’d definitely recommend this class to anyone. And Mike you have a such a nice way of presenting and talking with people. It’s very exciting to think about using my new knowledge.
– Elaine, Courtenay