The West Coast Trail is a world-famous coastal backpacking trip in Pacific Rim National Park. In 2019, we will offer two trips: one starting at Gordon Bay (Port Renfrew) and hiking northbound, and one starting at Pachena Bay (Bamfield) and hiking southbound.
Who is this trip for?
Our goal is to build strong teams and best match our guests to a specific trip. Our West Coast Trail guided trips are best suited for:
- Enthusiastic novice backpackers with a high level of physical fitness; OR
- Strong intermediate backpackers; OR
- Advanced backpackers wanting to learn / refine skills or experience an adventure with all of the logistics taken care of; OR
- Returning guests who have joined us previously on a multi-day coastal backpacking trip.
Definitions of experience levels:
- First-time backpacker: You have done some day-hiking, but have no overnight backpacking experience.
- Novice: You have completed some short backpacking trips.
- Intermediate: You backpack often on established trails or have participated in guided backpacking trips in the past
- Advanced: You backpack often on established trails and off-trail in remote areas. You have solid wilderness navigation and wilderness first aid skills.
- Look forward to challenging obstacles such as ladders, logs, roots, boulders, pebbles, and mud.
- Be comfortable hiking and carrying your loaded backpack for 8-10 hours per day.
- Expect to hike and camp in wet conditions.
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, incredible wildlife, and a life-changing adventure are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our guests to become a part of the adventure. You will experience your trip the way an outdoor professional does. Our West Coast Trail guided trips feature:
- World famous location. The West Coast Trail needs no introduction. People from all over the world travel to Vancouver Island every year after gaining one of the coveted permits. Experience this world-class adventure with a small group of eager participants.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personalized coaching to all his guests.
- Experiential learning. All of our trips are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues for the duration of the trip.