Our custom workshops help outdoor enthusiasts build a solid foundation for safe wilderness travel. We offer instruction on basic skills and tools required to plan successful trips and navigate in the backcountry, advanced skills, digital trip planning and GPS navigation tools, and practice sessions in the field.
Who is this workshop for?
Custom workshops are for groups who desire a personalized curriculum, dates, and objectives. Instructional programs are just as important to us as guided trips. We have a lot of fun at our workshops. Our custom programs are best suited for:
- First-time hikers and backpackers with a desire to learn foundational skills; OR
- Novice hikers and backpackers who have experimented on their own but desire a solid foundation of knowledge to build on; OR
- Intermediate hikers and backpackers who wish to advance their knowledge and skills; OR
- Advanced hikers and backpackers who want to refresh and learn new skills; OR
- A hiking club with specific learning objectives for its membership.
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, professional instruction, and a learning-intensive weekend are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our participants to take charge of their own adventures. You will learn to prepare for the wilderness the way an outdoor professional does. Our programs feature:
- Science and research. We are avid researchers who love to learn and share the latest technical information. We offer patient and courteous instruction based on decades of professional and recreational experiences in the outdoors.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personal coaching to all his guests and participants.
- Experiential learning. All of our workshops are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues up until the end of the workshop.
Thanks to MB Guiding for running a terrific Trip Planning and Leadership course. This is a great workshop for folks with novice to intermediate skills who are looking to expand their hiking and backpacking horizons and gain some very valuable resources and skills around leading trips and planning larger adventures. Even though I am a fairly experienced backcountry traveller the course format and Mike and Lara’s collaborative approach made for an exciting exchange of information from everyone present that sent me home with both new knowledge and valuable refinement of existing knowledge and skills. Thanks for a great workshop and a weekend well spent.
– Bil, Nanaimo