The Augerpoint Traverse is a premier alpine backpacking trip across Strathcona Provincial Park. Our objectives will be experiencing an incredible adventure, practicing wilderness navigation, and learning about backpacking in a mountain environment. In 2019, we will offer two trips. Itinerary and trip direction are flexible and depend on team desires and knee health.
Who is this trip for?
Our goal is to build strong teams and best match our guests to a specific trip. Our Augerpoint Traverse guided trips are best suited for:
- Advanced backpackers wanting to learn / refine skills or experience an adventure with all of the logistics taken care of; OR
- Returning guests who have joined us previously on a multi-day Strathcona Park backpacking trip.
Definitions of experience levels:
- First-time backpacker: You have done some day-hiking, but have no overnight backpacking experience.
- Novice: You have completed some short backpacking trips.
- Intermediate: You backpack often on established trails or have participated in guided backpacking trips in the past.
- Advanced: You backpack often on established trails and off-trail in remote areas. You have solid wilderness navigation and wilderness first aid skills.
- Look forward to challenging obstacles such as steep slopes, exposure, loose scree, elevation gains and loss, landslide zones, and rugged terrain.
- Be comfortable hiking and carrying your loaded backpack for 8-10 hours per day.
- Expect to hike and camp in all weather conditions (wet, cold, heat).
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, incredible wildlife, and a life-changing adventure are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our guests to become a part of the adventure. You will experience your trip the way an outdoor professional does. Our Augerpoint Traverse guided trips feature:
- Best of Strathcona. Gradually leave the crowds behind as you hike into the Strathcona Provincial Park wilderness. You will experience alpine lakes, challenging terrain, epic views, and the summit of Vancouver Island’s sixth highest peak: Mount Albert Edward.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personalized coaching to all his guests.
- Experiential learning. All of our trips are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues for the duration of the trip.