Location: Cape Scott Provincial Park
Distance: 57 kilometers
Duration: 7 days / 6 nights
Group size: 5 guests max
Staging area: Port Hardy, BC
The North Coast Trail is a remote and lesser known coastal backpacking trip with abundant wildlife. Our objectives will be experiencing an incredible adventure and learning about backpacking in a coastal environment. In 2019, we will offer two trips hiking from east to west. We like to start at Shushartie Bay, but itineraries and starting points can be flexible according to team desire.
Who is this trip for?
Our goal is to build strong teams and best match our guests to a specific trip. Our North Coast Trail guided trips are best suited for:
- Enthusiastic novice backpackers with a high level of physical fitness; OR
- Strong intermediate backpackers; OR
- Advanced backpackers wanting to learn / refine skills or experience an adventure with all of the logistics taken care of; OR
- Returning guests who have joined us previously on a multi-day coastal backpacking trip.
Definitions of experience levels:
- First-time backpacker: You have done some day-hiking, but have no overnight backpacking experience.
- Novice: You have completed some short backpacking trips.
- Intermediate: You backpack often on established trails or have participated in guided backpacking trips in the past.
- Advanced: You backpack often on established trails and off-trail in remote areas. You have solid wilderness navigation and wilderness first aid skills.
- Look forward to challenging obstacles such as logs, ropes, roots, boulders, pebbles, and mud.
- Be comfortable hiking and carrying your loaded backpack for 8-10 hours per day.
- Expect to hike and camp in wet conditions.
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, incredible wildlife, and a life-changing adventure are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our guests to become a part of the adventure. You will experience your trip the way an outdoor professional does. Our North Coast Trail guided trips feature:
- Remote wilderness. Fewer people hike the North Coast Trail than the famous West Coast Trail. The rewards of this lesser-known trip include more feelings of solitude and abundant wildlife. The physical challenge is comparable to the West Coast Trail.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personalized coaching to all his guests.
- Experiential learning. All of our trips are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues for the duration of the trip.
North Coast Trail was a great backcountry trip and well planned by MB Guiding. I would highly recommend this trip for anyone who is looking for a personal challenge in their life. I still consider North Coast Trail a more intense physical experience then West Coast Trail and a lot more wild.
– Roland, Toronto