Location: Nootka Island
Distance: 37 kilometers
Duration: 5 days / 4 nights
Group size: 5 guests max
Staging area: Campbell River, BC
The Nootka Trail is a wild and remote coastal backpacking trip on Nootka Island. Our objectives will be experiencing an incredible adventure and learning about backpacking in a coastal environment. In 2019, we will offer three trips hiking from Starfish Lagoon to Yuquot (Friendly Cove). Itineraries are flexible and depend on team desires and weather.
Who is this trip for?
Our goal is to build strong teams and best match our guests to a specific trip. Our Nootka Trail guided trips are best suited for:
- First-time backpackers with a desire to learn new skills in a challenging environment; OR
- Novice backpackers; OR
- Intermediate backpackers; OR
- Advanced backpackers wanting to learn / refine skills or experience an adventure with all of the logistics taken care of; OR
- Returning guests who have joined us previously on a multi-day coastal backpacking trip.
Definitions of experience levels:
- First-time backpacker: You have done some day-hiking, but have no overnight backpacking experience.
- Novice: You have completed some short backpacking trips.
- Intermediate: You backpack often on established trails or have participated in guided backpacking trips in the past.
- Advanced: You backpack often on established trails and off-trail in remote areas. You have solid wilderness navigation and wilderness first aid skills.
- Look forward to challenging obstacles such as logs, creek crossings, roots, boulders, pebbles, and mud.
- Be comfortable hiking and carrying your loaded backpack for 8-10 hours per day.
- Expect to hike and camp in wet conditions.
Why join us?
Beautiful scenery, incredible wildlife, and a life-changing adventure are guaranteed. We encourage and empower our guests to become a part of the adventure. You will experience your trip the way an outdoor professional does. Our Nootka Trail guided trips feature:
- Enjoyable for everyone. The Nootka Trail is a great adventure for all levels of experience, especially enthusiastic first-time and novice backpackers. Most of the route follows the intertidal zone, allowing for abundant wildlife sightings and ocean views.
- Guiding excellence. Mike is a certified ACMG Hiking Guide and passionate about creating and sharing beautiful wilderness adventures. He has discovered a love of teaching and strives to offer the added value of personalized coaching to all his guests.
- Experiential learning. All of our trips are rich in experiential learning. Immerse yourself in learning and gain the confidence and skills to apply to your own trips. Coaching starts on the day your registration is confirmed and continues for the duration of the trip.
My wife and I hired Mike to guide us along the rugged and beautiful Nootka Trail for the six-day, 35-km trek. Mike’s enthusiasm was evident the minute we met him at the float plane, and that enthusiasm never waned and was matched by his knowledge, commitment and culinary skills. Despite the ruggedness of the trail, we always felt safe and confident, yet still challenged, allowing us to enjoy the trip and the many sites and features Mike pointed out. The pace he set was perfect for all four members of our group. His commitment to detail was evident, and he presented a perfect balance of guiding while allowing us to enjoy our own personal experiences. As a result, the trip was very memorable and we would certainly recommend Mike to anybody considering his services.
– Toby and Mary, Nanaimo